Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,616
Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

I'm fine with a 50 the size of the new 35/1.8.

My only requirement is that it has to be sharp as h#ll.

R2

Sharp as h#ll, and no extreme vignetting please. Oh, and perfect round bokeh circles across the frame at f/2.0 or f/2.2 please without pronounced outer lining. I bit like the Samyang 85mm f/1.2 XP would be nice. Oh, and no fringing of course. 3 stops of IS is enough. Canon can skip the other 5 if that will make a smaller design possible. And i don't need a macro feature at 50mm too, so if skipping that too to make it more compact it's fine by me.

I think it should actually be a little bit bigger than the 35mm. Not too big of course, but it should be big enough to meet the other requirements, you know.....

+1 Keep vignetting to a minimum since I’ll be using this as a general purpose lens and not just for portraits, plus this’ll help to keep the bokeh balls round!

But reducing the fringing (c/a) with the inevitable aspherics is surely going to give us some onion ring bokeh, esp at this level of lens.

Oh boy, i want best of both worlds.    But if i have to choose: no onion rings please.

IS would be nice, but I’d get by with IBIS (R5). However IS will be welcome for use on the lower tier bodies (at least for the time being).

You have to wait for your R5, but i will have to wait about 2 years more to save up for it, so having a bit of IS in the mean time won't hurt.  I also think the quality of ILIS+IBIS might still be better than IBIS alone, while at 45Mp the bar is set high for your IS system.

Lastly, 1:2 macro would be very handy at this F/L (for me).

O.k.  Well, i wouldn't mind if it's there. But isn't it a bit redundant to have this in the 50mm if you have it already in both the 35mm and 85mm?  The 35mm to include a lot of background, the 85mm to exclude a lot of background?

R2

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow