D850 and GPS

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,434
Re: D850 and GPS

I don't like to tie up the hot shoe of the camera and I also don't want to drain the camera battery more rapidly. The solution for me going back to the D1x has been a bluetooth adapter that connects to the 10-pin port and then I use a Holux bluetooth GPS receiver. The Holux keeps track of the location and as soon as I turn on the camera it connects to the Holux immediately and I can start shooting and have the files geotagged.

B&H sells the Blue2Can adapter for Nikon cameras at $149. I used to buy the Aokatech that sold for $40 but the company has evidently gone out of business.

A b1tch of mine is that my Nikon Coolpix AW 120 point and shoot camera has built in GPS and a digital compass as does the D5300 and the $6500 D6 but Nikon has been truly shortsighted in providing this with any of its D8xx or D7xx cameras.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow