A7II in 2020, Is It bad?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SamKnopf Regular Member • Posts: 485
The A7II boosters convinced me

I decided to buy one as a back-up to my A7RII, and I picked up a lightly used one from a Kijiji seller today at a good price.

I've done a day of shooting with it today, and I'm quite pleased with its performance. It was mostly in bright sunny conditions, but also a few in the shade at high ISO, and they look fine to me.

The camera came with the 28-70 kit lens, which I didn't really want. I had one from my original A7, and I didn't like it because it was quite soft at the borders at wide angle. However, the one that came with this camera is considerably better, with fairly decent border quality. Perhaps Sony has gotten better at making them.

The old low-capacity battery may not appeal to everybody, but I like the fact that I can travel and use the same battery and charger with all my cameras.   The A7II keeps me consistent among my APS-C and full frame Sony cameras, while the newer A7III and A7c would mean that I have to carry a different charger if I take more than one camera.  (Actually, on major trips, I always like to take two of the same charger for safety.)

Full size corner crop, Sony 28-70, 31mm f/7.1

SamKnopf's gear list:SamKnopf's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow