A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,950
Re: A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

lawny13 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

User6100568601 wrote:

4 - No need microadjustments for mirrorless

Less need, but still useful in some situations: https://cameracal.co.uk/blogs/calibration/mirrorless-cameras-and-lens-calibration

So a company that specializes in calibration tells us we still need to MFA mirrorless bodies

No... they say that lenses might need to be calibrated.

Yes if lens is bad then you send it in. MFA corrects for the normal deviation that exists in the mirror assembly. FoCal got creative and started use the program to text unit lens instead of MFA. You need to stay alive so you get creative. FoCal is an excellent program which I used for years but. I'll never use it again. Since MLIC does not need MFA I won't need anything to tell me if my lens is not performing.

If I remember correctly micro adjustments to lenses was never completely straight forward, you often had to adjust them for example at more than one FL. Ideally you would have to actually adjust the lens for all FLs, and for various focusing distances.

Yes I had love/hate relationship with MFA for many years.

And the whole point was the correct difference in focal plane distance between the sensor and the focusing sensor. But now as we all know they are one and the same.

5 - Register/recall shooting func (Customize buttons) ?

This is not the same. All cameras have custom modes, but what I am specifically referring to is a "panic button" that you can assign to a hot key. This is much faster than turning a dial, and for the purpose, that timing does matter. Which actually brings up a sub-point (not solvable with firmware unfortunately):

5a. Lack of dedicated custom buttons. While Canon does allow assigning of the buttons available to other uses, I generally find that I actually do want the buttons already assigned so would have liked maybe another 2-3 buttons. Although I guess there is a aesthetic trade-off.

6 - I don't understand what you want but exposure compensation dial is need for M mode with Auto ISO

Good point, I had not realized Canon introduced this feature.

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow