Need a sense check on upgrading to full frame

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JamminHyaku
JamminHyaku Regular Member • Posts: 388
Re: Need a sense check on upgrading to full frame

AppleTango wrote:

Hi All,

I'm getting a bit of gear acquisition syndrome so could do with some input on whether it is worth it for me to jump to full frame. It's always been the eventual goal and with the lack of travel I'm doing this year I am wondering if spending some of that travel money on a new camera might be well timed. Alternatively I'm wondering whether to upgrade my cropped body.

I only shoot stills, video is nice but not really a priority and I mainly focus on landscapes and nature/wildlife and it is mostly something I do while travelling with some astrophotgraphy and architecture thrown in.

My current kit is:

Sony a6300

Samyang 12mm 1.2 - this is my wide angle astrophotography lens. I love this little thing. Works great for interiors also.

Soy 18-135mm - My general purpose/travel lens and the one I get the most use out of

Sony 70-350mm - my safari/wildlife lens. Obviously this doesn't come with me everywhere and doesn't get huge use.

The only thing I think I am missing is a decent fast prime for street/night photography but overall I am quite happy with this set up. Everything fits in a backpack easily enough and it covers pretty much everything I do.

With the a6600 dropping in price I am tempted to upgrade mainly for the auto-focus (for wildlife) and the increased battery life. But I am also conscious that upgrading to another cropped body effectively commits me to crop sensors for a few more years as I can't really justify the spend to upgrade only to sell it all in a year or so.

I'd be interested in how people would recreate my kit in Full Frame. I guess I would stick with Sony as I hear the a7iii is great and has been dropping in price. I've also seen the lens market start to open up with Sigma and Samyang providing some lower cost lenses as alternatives to sony (particularly super zooms that don't take up the whole backpack).

With regards to a safari/zoom lens. I don't think a massive 600mm lens would be worth it for me both for practicality and price reasons and I only really use my 350 when I'm specifically setting out to do that. So one option I was considering was using an a7R3in cropped mode only for the superzooms. I generally only print at like A3 size and just for myself so it does seem like the lower MP on those shots might not be such a big trade off.

I do like the look of the a7c for it's compact size and lock on AF but not sure it's necessarily worth the money at the moment and would mean using my superzoom in copped mode would probably not be worth the trade off in IQ (I'm assuming?)

I'm not looking for G master lenses or the best of the best gear, I am purely a hobbyist. Having said that, I understand it would be costly to switch but in my view it could be worthwhile as as a long term investment.

or maybe it actually is worth getting the a6600 for now and upgrading in a few years when current full frames drop in price? Certainly the cheaper option in the short term.

Interested in any and all opinions. Thanks!

Waiting for current fullframes to drop in price seems odd. Just buy an old fullframe, I have the A7rii and it is still an amazing camera that produces excellent results with fast and accurate AF today.

The first thing to decide is that your gear will be heavier and cost more money in just about every case, if you are willing to be alright with that FF is a great upgrade.

Keep in my your crop sensor gear isnt quite labelled accurately, 12mm on crop sensor is more like 19mm on FF for example. F2 on APS-C is more like F1.4 on FF, etc.

JamminHyaku's gear list:JamminHyaku's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow