Specific questions about USB/WiFi interference

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Aristide Rutilant Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Specific questions about USB/WiFi interference

Billiam29 wrote:

I’m not confused at all. Active USB 3.0 connections were well known to potentially cause interference with devices using 2.4 GHz spectrum. To the best of my recollection this was most likely to be encountered when both the USB and 2.4 GHz device were running from the same physical system which is exactly the scenario I was asking about with my Intel NUC. This may be a nearly extinct issue for devices form the last several years but as a reminder the NUC I’m dealing with is fairly old. It also does not have integrated WiFi, only hardwired Ethernet.

Well my bad then. I made searches for the subject and quickly found Intel's whitepaper. It might not be that well known however: I didn't knew about it  until today despite reading very regularly a bunch of tech websites.

In this case, the answers seem rather obvious:

• Check if your USB devices are properly shielded
  • Try to use Wifi 5 Ghz if possible
  • Try to use wired Ethernet if possible

Also, try to see if you NUC has some kind of mini PCI port or M.2 connector. You should then be able to plug a Wifi card in it. You can check at least some of your NUC specifications on ark.intel.com

Aristide Rutilant's gear list:Aristide Rutilant's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow