A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Re: A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

Chris Giles wrote:

The 'shoot / recall' function is the panic button. Assign it to somewhere and you're golden. I'm stoked it's in the R6 as it was in the 1DX (but not the 5D series) so was sorely missed especially for those photographers who shoot manually.

The only gripe I have with it is the limited number of things it addresses. Like shutter / iso / metering / aperture etc. But not AF mode or type.

You could do a lot more with it if you could program eye AF into it.

Similarly it would be nice to have a panic button for specific assignable AF modes. For me I use the aperture button to jump between One Shot and Servo but it would be nice to have something that allows me tocould switch between spot focusing and Eye AF.

Currently the only way to change AF points is scrolling the menu or I think a custom mode C1, C2, C3.

If you are content to limit yourself to two AF methods (say spot and face+tracking) then pressing the Direct AF method button will toggle between the two of them.

And you can assign different AF methods to either AF-On or * buttons.

Alternatively, I am finding using the rear wheel to be a very responsive way of changing AF method.

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow