A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MinAZ
OP MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560
Re: A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

sobrien wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

So I've had a chance to play more with the R5. I will say that I am very happy with it and there's no going back, but I'm not ditching my Sony A7RIV just yet. Well for one thing there are just a few niggly things that I think Canon should have addressed in a prosumer-level camera that are in the latest Sony cameras, and I'm not talking about anything related to heat or temperature. Here is a small list and hopefully these things will be added in a future firmware update:

1. Inability to set AF memory point (AF point registration). I mean WTH? This has been in every Canon and for some reason its missing in this one... On a related note, not being able to set AF registration pt obv means you can't toggle to it too, and that's a real shame.

What circumstances do you want this for? I never found a use for it on my 5D cameras and honestly can’t see myself using it now either.

2. Inability to save camera settings for import/export. Canon does have C1-C3 modes, but if you want to set up a second/third camera or the day you upgrade to the R5 Mark II, you won't be able to export settings for import later. Many other camera mfgs have implemented this rather simple feature, no reason Canon cannot...

This could be handy alright.

3. No ability to toggle between AUTO and Initial AF point. Right now you can sorta go around this by using the Single Shot vs Servo trick, but ideally you should be able to without a workaround.

What I do is set the camera to user defined initial AF point (i.e. on the shutter button) and programme AF-On to initiate eye AF with auto initial point. Best of both worlds.

I actually tried this, but I find that I prefer to do the toggle One-Shot and Servo instead for one reason: although eye-detect does simulate AUTO initial pt, one difference is that the button is a HOLD function rather than a TOGGLE, which means that you can't use the joystick to switch eyes. If it allowed that, I would have also set it up that way. For now, I just just the one-shot, its good enough anyway as long as the subject is still.

4. It looks like they got rid of lens focusing microadjustments. I'm not sure that's such a great idea honestly...

Not needed in my experience.

5. No ability to toggle camera settings for different scenes. For example, on the Sony you can program a button to instantly bring up f/8 1/500 infinity focus continuous AF bust, or just about any other combination of settings, which is great for street photography or any "oh s!@#" situation where you just need to bring up default settings. Closest in Canon is to use an AUTO mode, but that's not really the same thing.

Using custom modes and M-Fn button to instantly toggle them is a good way of achieving this.

Register/recall shooting func, as suggested above, is also an option though does not give you access to every setting you might ideally like.

6. Not fantastic implementation of the dials. The only way you can set up custom dials is for manual mode, and in that particular case, you have 4 dials (including the one on the RF lens) for 3 functions - because, WTH do you need exposure compensation dial for in manual??? This part of the whole thing boggles my mind - you might find a use for the exposure compensation dial in any mode other than manual but the custom settings default to manual mode. If you weren't in manual anyway, your rear wheel is exposure compensation and you have 4 dials for 2 functions...

I’m using Fv mode 99% of the time and find the dials fine for my purposes. I can use the rear dial and control dial for things like AF method and any exposure setting I like. I’m often in Fv mode like manual with auto-ISO so exposure comp is handy there.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow