Custom White Balance with XT-3 for video

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Expo disc, white card

So I don't have an X-T3 and I am everything but a video pro. I posted "a decent baseline for Fujifilm video recording (for video beginners)."

Just a few thoughts.

1. You could use an expo disc
  2. Last time I just used the white wall next to my subject for custom WB and it was good. I decided for Classic Chrome film simulation because this one delivered the best skin tone in combination with the custom WB. I didn't want too warm a skin tone.
  3. I have a Novoflex white card and also an expo disc. But I do not use them a lot in stills. This is because I always get too warm and 'unrealistic' colors with either of them!
    I've never done a systematic study (though it's planned) but I've not found a situation yet where the card or the expo disc delivered a more pleasing result than Fuji's auto WB. Maybe heavily mixed light could be such a situation.
    With video, of course, WB needs to be kept constant, i.e., you need to apply some sort of custom WB.
  4. With a white card, basically, the white side is for WB and the gray side for exposure. Since the gray side should be color neutral, it can also be used for WB - but what's in it vs the white side? Nothing. - That's how I understood it.

Comments welcome.

BR,

Martin

-- hide signature --
 Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow