Tamron 70-180 FE weird streaking bokeh effect in images?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yarnim Forum Member • Posts: 71
Tamron 70-180 FE weird streaking bokeh effect in images?

Wonder how good the screenshot below is going to show it, but I'm going through a few shots taken with this lens that I bought not too long ago, and noticed a pattern of images, when shot at 2.8, when background gets sort of busy, there are these streaks that show up on all the out of focus areas.

The shot below is a capture of a 1:1 crop, and even here in this small thumbnail'ish image, you can still see it clearly.

In the image below, they're around the bushes, very pronounced in the mid section of the image, kind of connected from the bushes to the taller trees in the back, and generally all around the busy backgrounds. I don't notice them on skies or on buildings.

I've used many lenses and this is the first that I've seen. And as mentioned, this isn't an isolated incident, I see this in many images that I've taken with this lens. And 2.8 overall seems to be very soft.

Do I have a bad copy or is this something of a common effect that I was not aware of?

Yarnim's gear list:Yarnim's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow