Custom White Balance with XT-3 for video

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chillipalmer New Member • Posts: 15
Custom White Balance with XT-3 for video

Hi everybody,

So I'm shooting 4k Eterna and Flog video on the XT-3 in a controlled lighting studio environment. I'm color grading on Resolve, and I want to make sure my colors and white balance are as accurate as possible before I apply a look. But:

At the moment I use custom white balance in camera set to a white piece of paper. I am considering 'upgrading' the paper to a proper white balance card. This leads me to all the usual arguing on internet forums about whether to use a grey card vs. a white one. I don't really care what I use, as long as it makes my colors accurate and my grading easier. What should I get?

One of the problems I have with Fuji custom white balance is I have to fill the square with the white/grey. So shooting with prime lenses, I have to set up the shot and the lights, but then move the camera closer to the white paper so I can set the custom white balance correctly. Is this right? I always feel weird doing it, and wonder if there's a way I can set the white balance without ruining the setup. The alternative is to move the paper closer to the camera, but then the paper is going to be in a different lighting situation to the subject, and this seems like an obviously bad idea.

Given this problem of moving the camera, it seems that a bigger white balance card is better, so I should avoid all those small passport style white balance cards. Any ideas on what to look for, or other solutions which will help in this situation? Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow