Sony 50mm F1.8 underrated, or just bad?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JamminHyaku
JamminHyaku Regular Member • Posts: 337
Sony 50mm F1.8 underrated, or just bad?

I picked this lens up when I got the camera for 220$ CAD used, and personally I don't think it is that bad. When I got it and moved to fullframe, this was a lot of money since the Canon 50mm 1.8 I had before I picked up used for 40$.

Everyone says this lens isn't very good, but the image quality isn't all that bad from my experience. It might not be the best, but it is good enough for most hobbyists I would wager. Most of the issue I believe lies in the loud and not so great autofocus, but if you don't use it for video is this that much of a problem?

I have been arguing with myself if I should upgrade it, as the rest of my gear has received an upgrade now. The Zeiss 55mm looks great, but is still around 1000$ Canadian used, which is a large difference in price.

I know others will recommend the Samyang 45mm 1.8, which seems like a good lens, but personally I already have the 35mm and 10mm is quite close!

JamminHyaku's gear list:JamminHyaku's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow