Nikon Z5 Dilemma: Keep just for the 24-50?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 271
Nikon Z5 Dilemma: Keep just for the 24-50?

So I picked up a Z5 with 24-50 kit and a 50mm 1.8s.  My first foray into the Z mount.

So I love the Z5 body. I've tried a lot of Sony A7-series bodies and also previously owned the Canon RP, and the Z5 is definitely better than those bodies. It's really enjoyable to use and shoot with, period.

The lenses are the dilemma. The 24-50 (esp on the wide end) seems like a fine performer so far, I think it pretty much delivers as you'd expect for the price. Most important for me was the size, and it delivers. Very compact and nice on the Z5.

But I'm thinking of returning the 50mm. There's nothing to fault about the lens itself, I can see why people say it's one of the best 50mm lenses you can get. Even the size/weight isn't that bad. And the price is fair imo for the optical quality. BUT I think I've just fallen out of love with the 50mm focal length over the years. It's been a while since I had a truly top notch optic in this focal length, but even then it's not enough to convince me that it's a good focal length for my shooting. I'd like something wider.

I think ideally I'd like to wait for some smaller and more affordable lenses (I'm eagerly anticipating the 28mm) from either Nikon or a 3rd party.

But for now, would it be stupid to just use the Z5 with the 24-50? I know you don't get an ILC just to keep 1 lens (esp a cheap kit lens) on it, but I can't think of another combo quite like this right now in terms of compactness, features of the body, etc for the price.

Or would I be better off returning the whole shebang and maybe consider jumping back into the system once the lens lineup is built out with the lenses I'm looking for?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow