Does this look like a shutter gone bad?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,964
Does this look like a shutter gone bad?

Was shooting surfers in burst mode (9 fps) this week when my D850 malfunctioned. The normal rapid fire staccato was replaced by uncharacteristic sounds and an ERR message. Here's a string of shots. Does this look like  the shutter had gone? The dark areas are internal to the camera.

I've been shooting it about 2-1/2 years and had no similar problems, However, I did drop it in fine sand about a year ago on a coastal dune while shooting stars one night.  It was very humid and the sand just stuck to it and the lens.  I took into AC and let it dry off so the sand could be easily removed without rubbing.  However, the viewfinder shutter door won't close, so perhaps some sand or salt go into the camera.

Am planning to send it to Nikon for repair, but curious if others have seen this, BTW, shutter count is 127385.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +13 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow