So this evening really sold me on my Fuji!, but - lens choice?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ad12 Contributing Member • Posts: 592
So this evening really sold me on my Fuji!, but - lens choice?

Hello,

I took my camera bag to a lake in the evening to unwind after work. I had Fuji with 18-55 and 10-24 for landscapes, and my 800d DSLR and 100-400 for wildlife if i saw anything. Landscapes of the lake with the Fuji were really beautiful, despite the incredibly blue auto white balance which i corrected in post.

I noticed plenty of small birds dashing about and wanted to photograph them. I took my trusty DSLR as despite never trying it out, I felt the XT30 wasnt suited. I managed to get ZERO shots in focus of them flying. The camera frustrates me with birds often. I felt it was just me or the nature of it, as i read DSLR is better than mirrorless.

I then chucked the lens on the adaptor on the XT30 as what did I have to lose? In the end, about 80% of the flight shots were in focus! And these birds were tiny and shooting across the water. Yellow wagtails, for instance. Not only that, the higher burst rate, bright representative viewfinder, were amazing. I noticed the first burst with the Canon i had over exposed the sky as Canon likes to do, and lost some shots. The Fuji the exposure was easy.

I've concluded based on this evening, i will probably replace my DSLR with an XT3 for the second body. I kept the Canon just for 400mm birding, which now is clearly inferior to my XT30.

I did however discover an issue! Not a Fuji issue, but one of physics! The birds were so fast i had to use 1/1000, and it was at the stage of evening where the sun was gone. As such, shooting small birds far away I had to prioritise shutter speed, but the ISO was 10-12,000.

Seems light was my issue, or maybe technique. Perhaps panning at a lower shutter would have worked, but im not convinced. Otherwise, i need a faster lens, bigger sensor, or just a brighter day! Thoughts? I used a Tamron 100-400, at this focal range it was about F5.6.  I was shooting at about 260mm. 400mm would be better, but i couldnt track them like that, i needed the space to follow them. I guess a FF sensor, or maybe one of those lovely f2.8 400mm canon primes, would have helped?

Anyway. heres a landscape shot i really love! and one of my more disappointing noisy crops of the bird.

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow