DSLR -> Mirrorless Guides?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,152
Re: DSLR -> Mirrorless Guides?

anim8tr wrote:

I've got the D850 and Z6. During the first year, 95% of my images were with the Z6 over the D850. That includes thousands of images of birds in flight, events, landscapes, and equestrian work.

[...]

I'd be interested in hearing why you used your z6 more than the D850. How did they compare image quality wise?

That's an interesting question.  It was not intentional, and I've pulled back a little from that level this year.

But the reasons were:

• I wanted to put the Z6 through its paces and see how well it would handle everything I shoot
  • The native Z lenses - 24-70 f/4 and 14-30 f/4 - were as sharp or sharper than the F-mount 24-70 f/2.8 G, 14-24 f/2.8 (about the same) and 16-35 f/4.
  • The FTZ allowed me to use F-mount lenses as though they were native
  • The fast frame rate was better for equestrian work
  • AF was more accurate on the Z6 (during this period my 70-200 f/2.8 was perfect on my Z6, but when I tried it on my D850 it backfocused 4-5 inches on 500 shots from a shoot - and ultimately needed repair).
  • The 200-500 + 1.4 teleconverter worked on the Z6 and was unsatisfactory on the D850
  • The EVF was a great experience - and preferred over the OVF
  • The EVF allowed me to eliminate the rear LCD - which for me meant I did not need to  use glasses to check sharpness or change settings
  • During a couple of low light shoots - like the lunar eclipse during totality - the bright viewfinder with Low Light Focus mode was much more accurate than the D850
  • While there is a slight shutter lag, it's just a matter of timing and was easy to work around
  • The Z6 was silent - perfect for professional golf tournaments
  • Some of my work for clients was for small print or web use - I had no need for high resolution files; that was my reason for getting the Z6 over the Z7 to start
  • The Z6 kit is smaller and lighter - this is incidental for me - I carry the tool needed for the job but it was nice to have a light kit a few times

I could go on.  I took over 40,000 images in the first year.

-- hide signature --

Eric Bowles
BowlesImages.com

ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow