Anyone else found the Oly 12-45 to be sharper than the Oly 12-40?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sheeno Junior Member • Posts: 32
Anyone else found the Oly 12-45 to be sharper than the Oly 12-40?

Sorry to add to the reams of threads about comparisons between the minutiae of lens characteristics - I didn't find any about these two in particular at least!

A few weeks ago I bought an EM1 mk ii w/ the 12-45mm f/4 kit, and after playing around with it a bit I decided it would be worth buying the 12-40 f/2.8 and selling the 12-45, just because that extra stop of aperture would come in handy with it being my general purpose lens. So I bought the 12-40, decided to do some comparion shots (controlled: tripod, shutter delay, silent mode, same scene), and in every comparison I've done the 12-45 has come out on top (photos taken mostly at f/4 or f/5.6 and 12 or 40 mm). It's pixel-peeping, sure, and the dfference isn't drastic, but it's not something I'd heard anyone else comment on and it's making it much harder to part with the 12-45 than I anticipated.

Of course the 12-45 is the newer lens, so perhaps it's to be expected, but it's also a fair bit cheaper in general so I personally didn't expect it. Assuming that other people have had the same experience as me, this might be good information for people to know in future if they're choosing between the two lenses. If people haven't had the same experience then I would definitely like to hear it please, because it means that I will consider selling my 12-40 and trying to get another copy.

I can post some comparison photos if people want to see them. There is also definitely a focal length difference between the two, with the 12-40 seeming like the image is stretched slightly and therefore cutting off some of the bottom of the image at 12mm (despite near-identical framing at the top of the image), as well as, interestingly enough, a constant difference in jpg file size, with the 12-45 consistently producing jpgs that are almost 1 MB larger than the 12-40, although the raw files are the same size.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow