Bayer sensor Fujis vs. Sony A7 II: Which is better for Lightroom/Nik post processing?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noflashplease Senior Member • Posts: 2,496
Bayer sensor Fujis vs. Sony A7 II: Which is better for Lightroom/Nik post processing?

Don’t get me wrong.  I love my X-A3.  The biggest downside I’ve found is that it has far less leeway with exposure and shadow lifting in Lightroom than my Nikon D7000.  Also, I find that Nik’s Define2 noise reduction is significantly more effective with Nikon’s .NEF files than my Fuji’s .RAF files.  I don’t see a clear upgrade path with Fuji, since they’re never going full frame with the X-mount.  I’m sure the feature set of the XT-200 is adequate, but it does irritate me that my elderly Nikon works better with Lightroom and Nik plugins.

I’ve read that X-Trans bodies are more suited to Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom than a couple of years ago?  I don’t know if the improvement is significant enough to make them better in this regard than the Bayer sensor bodies?  All the same, the lack of a full frame upgrade path holds me back from something like a X-T3.  And I’m using legacy manual focus glass, much of which would benefit from a full frame field of view.

Lightroom/Photoshop and Nik are a must.  I can envision changing systems more easily than abandoning Adobe.

My real world experience with the X-A3 is that it has more perceived high ISO noise than the much older D7000.  More noise than the test scenes lead me to believe.  I don’t know if there are any A7 or A7II owners who also have Bayer sensor Fujis.  I’m wondering if the A7 II is a less than spectacular improvement in terms of noise compared to a X-A3 or X-A5 or XT-100?

Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D7000 Sony a7 Sony a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow