D7000: Live View Exposure Simulation/Adjusting Brightness of LCD Changes Gamma?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noflashplease Senior Member • Posts: 2,496
D7000: Live View Exposure Simulation/Adjusting Brightness of LCD Changes Gamma?

Two observations:

1. Live View isn’t WYSIWYG on most Nikon DSLR when it comes to Exposure Simulation. This is something I learned unexpectedly and for the first time while working with Manual exposure copying negatives, as I’m primarily an Aperture Priority Mode user. There’s apparently a work around in the form of Shooting Menu > Movie Settings > Manual Movie Settings, but it doesn’t work for shutter speeds of less than 1/30 second.  And I was working with far lower shutter speeds.

2.  My second shock is that with the brightness of the rear LCD turned all the way up, the Gamma is increased dramatically.  I would have assumed that this stayed as constant as possible.  The backlight of the LCD shouldn’t have dimmed over the years, as I’d assume that it was LED backlit.  I chimped to determine proper exposure for over 125 frames.  Upon viewing the images on my computer, it was apparent that’s I’d badly underexposed every one.

I can understand that Live View mode doesn’t provide exposure simulation.  (Not that it saved Nikon any money in terms of hardware costs).  However, making increased LCD brightness merely a function of increased Gamma is outrageous, even by the standards of 10 years ago.  I don’t believe that there was any hardware defect in the rear LCD, age related or otherwise.  Nikon just used Gamma to increase perceived brightness, making even chimping unreliable as a means of predicting exposure.

The moral of the story is to never increase brightness beyond the default on a D7000.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow