Canon R5 Focusing Problem

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,465
Re: Canon R5 Focusing Problem

I wouldn't bounce back and forth in firmware updates, mine worked just as good with all the updates.

There is a learning curve to how the AF works. I'd assume this curve is what your having an issue with. Let me make one point really clear. The single point or initial point can very easily grab an unintended subject. I struggled with this for hours before just letting go and letting the camera do the heavy lifting.

Unfortunately, with this type of problem, its very difficult to differentiate user error from camera fault.

One other thing, I don't know if this is particularly specific to you, but I've noticed if I jerk or move abruptly the focus lock quality is affected.  You will notice the confident eye box, head box, or body box, give way to the less confident blue boxes. So just be aware, smooth movements are rewarded.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow