Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP akbc Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

mais51 wrote:

akbc wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it. When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted. I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it. I am not sure what format is used for CF card. I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses . There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

My CF 64 GB is automatically formatted to FAT32 - you can check the card properties when connected to a PC or Mac.

You should always format the memory card using the camera rather than computer. The camera will set the memory card up to the required file structure.

You should get a good card reader to transfer files to your PC - I use a Lexar USB3 Dual-Slot reader (CF and SD) (LRW400U) - avoid generic no name reader. A card reader will free up your camera and saves battery. I don't really know how you could operate your camera with only one memory card, at the very least 2 just in case one fails - or full up.

A closer look at my Lexar reader confirms different pin lengths similar to the photo you posted.

Most of the time I use the SD card. I have a couple Scandisk SD 128g cards and a few other 64g ones two.

I was able to borrow a CF card from a friend, it turns out to be a bad CF card. Another interesting thing is my friend also has a Digitech slim SD to CF type I adapter, I tried it with a SD card and it works too. It is kind of cool, I am going to get one instead of getting a new CF card so I can use SD cards in both slots

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow