iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,912
Re: iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

Andy Hewitt wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

Those contemplating the use of Photos and an iPad Pro for their main photo processing solution might want to check out Apple's new subscription plans, since online storage is obviously key. The storage limits are now in various bundles with Apple TV+, music, etc. Since I'd assume many are using Photos because of its integration with other Apple stuff, and hence those folks might be using other Apple services, you might find switching to some of the new bundles saves some money.

From TidBits:

Despite the Apple One name, there are actually three discounted service bundles:

• Apple One Individual: For $14.95 per month, you get Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, and 50 GB of iCloud storage. Before Apple One, that would cost $20.96, so you would save $6.01 per month.
  • Apple One Family: For $19.95 per month for up to six family members, you get Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, and 200 GB of iCloud storage. Before Apple One, that would cost $27.96, so you would save $8.01 per month.
  • Apple One Premier: For $29.95 per month, you get everything: Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, Apple Fitness+, and 2 TB of iCloud storage, all of which can be shared among six family members. With the pre-Apple One price at $54.94, you’d be saving $24.95 per month.

Of course, it's also a bit frustrating as you probably end up with something you don't need, as with cable. I'm in that boat; we've got Apple News+ as a sub, and free AppleTV+ because of buying a Mac. So none of the options get us more storage without adding a service we don't need. But maybe if we switch out of another music service. In any case, worth looking at. And since for many of us images take up tons of our back up space, savings on that storage online or even with extra drives might factor in.

That’s a very good point, I also have an Apple TV+ subscription free for a year with my iPad Pro. I wonder of there’ll be any extra discount to allow for that? (Just wishful thinking).

They don’t make it clear yet as to whether this is all in addition to the individual subscriptions, or if it replaces them.

Yeah, I wonder about that too. It seems they've skillfully repackaged it so that our family will probably end up have to pay more if that's the case. Sigh...but that's probably the point.

In addition I have the 2TB iCloud plan, and I also pay for Match each year (preferring to have my own limited collection of music to take around with me).

Apple TV+ has limited appeal, it has had one or two things that I’ve watched (and I’m waiting to see what Foundation ends up like - being an Asimov fan), otherwise I could easily live without it at the moment, as it has very poor value looking at its content.

Yeah. That and others. I would pay per episode to see some of the stuff (I like the revised moon history series) even if it cost me more; at this point there's nothing on there I want. It did remind me to check and see when my free subscription runs out. Maybe I'll just put the money to a new iPhone

However, in a years time, when my free offer runs out, I might find myself justifying a Family Premier plan. It could be the kick I need to finally get rid of the old iMac, and actually go iDevice only, as at the moment, the iMac is only storing my iTunes music and a bunch of old movies ripped from DVDs (that I own). That could all depend on what’s available with Apple TV+ though.

Continually buying new hard drives has been a cost factor I considered when I upgraded to the 2TB plan, and part of the decision to get the iPad. Not to mention the time and risks involved in transferring data to new drive units, and having multiple backups of each.

I agree. It's a factor that we don't often consider. Not to mention hubs, and new USB-C cables, etc. And having had to prep for a fire evacuation, knowing one has reliable storage up in the cloud is quite reassuring. The thread got me checking, and I hadn't realized I'd turned off iCloud backup for my iPhone, for example. Without that, you lose your phone on the road and you're hosed. I rather wish Apple included enough storage free with each iPhone to cover the storage limits (say 128GB), but nope.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow