u4/3 for backpacking?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
OM mani padme hum Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Examples

There are small m43 lenses with IS, for instance the Panasonic 12-32 & 35-100 zooms. With IS (wherever it is) one can get away with a slower shutter speed and/or lower ISO for relatively stationery subjects. That reduces the need for heavier, more expensive, faster lenses.

It's true the Sony RX100 cameras don't have an ultrawide lens as such, but one can take multiple images and stitch them together later, or else use the built-in panorama mode. Even small m43 bodies like the GM5 have this mode, but unfortunately Olympus do not. Panorama mode isn't totally foolproof or super quick, but if you're using it for scenery or interiors it usually does the job. FWIW, I've found panorama mode useful on the RX100, and on the GM5 - even with the Laowa 7.5 f2.0 lens. YMMV.

Ultimately the choice comes down to the relative importance of photographing versus being in the oudoors for other reasons, one's tolerance for weight and fiddling, etc. I can see good reasons to use an RX100, GM5, or a larger body and lenses, depending on one's priorities. In my case lugging heavy, bulky stuff around and disrupting others are strongly negative. However, in 2000 I met a guy in the Khumbu carrying a 10x8" view camera, a supply of sheet film, and a rather large tripod. He was taking ~4-5 images per day, and had a porter to carry his non-photographic gear and clothing. It takes all kinds...

Finally, I highly recommend trying before buying; this can save a lot of grief. Buying based on specs then discovering the ergonomics drove one mad would not be good.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow