Z7 has prompted Lens delimma.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alaska_av8r
alaska_av8r Regular Member • Posts: 296
Z7 has prompted Lens delimma.

Well I can’t totally blame the Z7 for this but I absolutely love the camera.  I mostly shoot landscape and wildlife and I’ll give background so this makes sense.  Started with D850 and Sigma 14x24 f2.8 art, Nikkor f2.8 24x70 and 80x400 f4.  Later added D500 and Nikon 600 f4.

i wear glasses for near vision and struggled since day 1 with the d850 and focusing.  I focus tuned all of my lenses etc and still no help, so I do not trust nor think too highly of the 850s AF and mostly use manual AF to make sure I get what I want.  The D500 nails the focus the 90% of the time and I love it.  I also invested in the Lee 100 mm filter system Which I like then when I got the sigma I had to move to the 150mm Lee system which I don’t like.

Now enter the Z7, I rarely have issues with focus on this body and have fell in love with it.  I don’t have any native lens and am using the Ftz adapter.  One of the main reasons I moved into mirrorless is weight.  I have been doing more and more hiking/backpacking with my photography.

So now I am looking to lighten/consolidate where I can.  I’m thinking the 14x24 f2.8 Sigma needs to go since it is what prompted me to move to the 150mm filters and replace it with a good f4 version super wide F Mount and something that will work with Lee 100mm system.  That way I can use it with both the 850 and Z7.  Any suggestions on a good quality lens that fits the bill?

Meanwhile I will continue to wish for the 14x400 f2.8 that weighs only a half pound.

Tim

-- hide signature --

Destroying pixels one click at a time...
www.timgriffinphotography.com

alaska_av8r's gear list:alaska_av8r's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR +9 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow