Record a 3D printer moving: what system?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
biotop New Member • Posts: 1
Record a 3D printer moving: what system?

Hi everyone,

For a research project, I would like to take videos of the nozzle of a 3D-printer while it's extruding material.

Because i'm interested in how material flows out, I need to have a close-up image of the nozzle of about 1 or 2 cm in width (green on image).

The nozzle itself is moving at around 3cm/s back and forth towards the objective in regular motions so I would need very fast focus adjustment (auto-tracking) and/or a large depth of field of 3cm or more, which is the depth of the travel move. I expect also to use slow-motion, 60fps minimum, to really be able to observe the phenomenon I'm looking for.

The distance to the object is something I can play with. Ideally I would want it to be 10cm away from the moving object to avoid the hotter environment of the build chamber and the moving head. I can make that distance larger but not much smaller.

Summary of what I would like to have: 3D printer nozzle much more zoomed in on the image and staying in focus despite the travel move.

My question is: what kind of equipment can I use to obtain a video like this?

I will probably rent the equipment anyway (camera and lense/probe) so something fancy is an option. Currently I just have a D5100 Nikon camera and a 18-105 classic objective which does the job poorly (as seen on the picture, summarizing everything).

I'm not even sure if going for macro lenses is the right approach, as there's a distance to stay away from the object and the depth of field should be high for easier focus... high-speed camera with a teleobjective? something else I'm not aware of?

I'm pretty much a newbie in here so any direction is very much appreciated !

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow