My new A7R II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tonybelding Contributing Member • Posts: 985
My new A7R II

This week I got an eBay “minty” A7R II with a bunch of accessories: four OEM batteries, a L-bracket, a Vello Shutterboss II and a battery grip.  A camera model that is now five years old might not be exciting to most of you.  I know we are all about the newest gear around here.  From my viewpoint, though, this is fantastic.  Compared to what I have used before, this is a beast of a camera.

I have, actually, been using a somewhat beat-on (but still going strong) Sony A7.  For my needs, the A7 has been delivering fantastic images.  It seems like most of the advances in recent years have been all about video and autofocus.  I shoot mostly manual lenses and rarely take video, so that is moot to me, and I have just kept soldiering on with the A7 (which I will keep).  What the A7R II gets me is: sensor stabilization, higher resolution, a more solid lens mount, a mechanical shutter that doesn’t wake the dead, plus an actual silent mode.

I thought 24 MP was already overkill for my purposes, so 42 MP is nuts.  But you know, maybe it’ll be helpful for telephoto shots.  If my lens just isn’t long enough, I can crop in more, why not?  For that matter, why would I want a wide zoom when I already have this lovely little 15mm Voigtländer?

Stabilization is something I’ve been doing OK without, and yet it was also the main thing that prompted me to get this camera.  I’ve had several bodies with stabilization before (Pentax, Olympus) and know there are enough situations with low light or, again, telephoto where it should be of some benefit.

I was tempted to get a Mark 3, mostly for the sake of the newer and bigger battery.  However…  I’ve got the A7 and I’ve got a RX10 IV both using the little NP-FW50, and it’s simpler to stick with it and use the same batteries in everything.  And I have a lot of them now!  Also, battery grip.

A DPR reviewer once told me his shopping strategy.  “Just see what cameras got the best reviews a few years go.  If it was good then, it’ll be good now.”  His advice has worked pretty well for me.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow