Issues with S5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bosebarn New Member • Posts: 9
Issues with S5

Long time GH5 user and I had been wanting to try out full frame at some point – S5 came along and seemed to tick all the boxes!

But, I've ran into a couple of issues. One isn't a dealbreaker and related to adapting lenses. The second is a big issue for me, and I think it means the S5 is getting sent back.

Issue 1: Specifically with the Sigma MC-21 & Sigma 50 1.4 Art. At close focusing distance, the aperture will open by a stop. Doesn't happen on other bodies I've used (canon, GH5 via metabones) and happens in AF or MF. Seems to go to the correct aperture when taking a photo, but pulling focus while recording once moving past a certain point still makes the aperture close by a stop. I don't have another L mount to hand, so I'm not sure if it is the adapter that's the issue or the lens. All firmwares (lens, body & adapter) are up to date though. AF is also horrifically slow. "Unsupported" canon glass is significantly faster on the adapter, and I get much better AF performance on the same lens on the GH5.

Issue 2 (the bigger for me, and why I think it is going back): Focus peaking is absolutely rubbish. It is terrible. It's really not very sensitive, even at max setting and very hard to tell what is in focus. This issue is compounded by the fact that when in any 4K mode, the focus peaking level drops to even more rubbish levels when you start recording. I was planning on replacing my GH5 with this, but with focus peaking as unusable as it is I can see an awful lot of out of focus shots in my future. Not great for a wedding videographer. Even using monochrome live view, it's still really unusable.

Has any other early adopters of the S5 noticed this with focus peaking? I have since read the S1 peaking level does a similar thing when you start recording, which doesn't make me hopeful for a firmware fix.

It's a shame. I was so excited by this camera, and it's so nearly there for me.

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow