RX10iv focus mode dial - why there?! / strategies to make sure you don’t use the wrong mode

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tduk Regular Member • Posts: 121
RX10iv focus mode dial - why there?! / strategies to make sure you don’t use the wrong mode

Slight rant, but does anyone have good reasons why Sony would put the focus mode dial where it is? To me it seems an awkward location - you can’t tell what mode it’s on without looking at the front of the camera (unless I’ve missed something?) and it’s easily knocked.

In general of course more physical controls are better than fewer but I’m not so sure with this one, I think I’d rather use a menu to select it. Perhaps there is thinking/precedent behind this that I am missing though.

Which leads me on to a question - does anyone have any good strategies for making sure it’s on the right mode before shooting, which don’t involve remembering to look at the front of the camera? I ruined some photos from my last trip away as the dial must have got knocked to MF and I didn’t notice until it was too late

Is there some clear indication I can look out for in the EVF to show that I’m not in MF mode before I shoot (in this case I had to capture the moment quickly, and it looked OK in the EVF focus wise)? As far as I can tell there’s no way to show (or control) the focus mode in the Fn menu for example. I could of course tape the dial at AF-S but sometimes I might want to change it on purpose.

Am I also right in thinking there’s no way to store focus mode with an MR or similar so there’s a sensible “default” mode if I just grab the camera quickly?

To be fair this annoyed me enough that I’ll probably remember it next time anyway, haha. Thoughts welcome!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow