Photographing insects with A7R2 + FE 2.8/50 Macro

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,158
Photographing insects with A7R2 + FE 2.8/50 Macro

There are always opportunities to photograph spiders and other insects in my garden.

Because spiders tend to set up camp, so to speak, and stay awhile, I can visit the spider over several evenings, when they are hanging out on their web. If I am careful and not in a hurry, the spider will stay put.

This is a Hortencia - I give my spiders names - a Brown Widow. A fortunate opportunity here to observe her with dinner which became snagged in her web down near the ground. She carried it up to the edge of a window sill near my front porch. The next day I found that bug's carcass inside the opening under the sill.

Meet Helga, a Black Widow, also with dinner at hand. She has strung webbing at the end of one of my fences. She is very proud of the dark red hourglass on her abdomen, which stands out in comparison to the red-orange color of the Brown Widow's hourglass.

This is Matilda, another Brown Widow. The color of her hourglass is a lighter red with a tint of orange around one side.

Later Matilida spun some egg sacs, and permitted me to photograph her at the opening to her nest inside the hollow of a fence post. Egg sacs of the Brown Widow have protruding spikes (spiculate) in comparison to the smooth sacs of the Black Widow. An intricate and well-thought out design of the webbing.

Widow spiders are quite shy, and will scurry away if they feel threatened; for example, if I push a small stick slowly toward one, she moves quickly up her web to her nest, or encampment. Bites usually occur when a person touches one accidentally, eg., reaching into an open box in the garage.

Other insects from this summer and the past:

Katydid. These grasshoppers have the longest antennae I've seen. Beautiful colors.

Male Green Sweat Bee, sleeping. Males have yellow-black striped abdomens. This is the second year I've noticed them n my garden.

From last year. Males tend to sleep clustered in groups. If I shine my flashlight continuously for 20 - 30 seconds, they begin to stir, possibly thinking it's daybreak.

Fiery skipper on plumes of a Ponil plant.

Green Lynx Spider

Small Milkweed Bug on a tropical milkweed plant

Pale Green Assassin Bug

I like the 50mm macro because it is so small and light, which is ideal when I hike in the Southern Sierras.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow