Camera Help!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
steve28105 New Member • Posts: 8
Camera Help!

Hey all! I recently sold my Pentax K3II kit, in hopes of getting a longer range of zooms in a smaller package.  As Pentax is known for their great prime lenses, this was a critical 1st step towards achieving my goal.

Next, is finding my next kit.  Here are my requirements:

I want a broad zoom range, something versatile for landscapes AND wildlife, ideally out to 600mm equivalent.  Definitely need weather sealing, as I shoot from a canoe and kayak more often than not.  I want to minimize lenses as I primarily shoot when backpacking / canoing / hiking.

Here are my considerations:

Panasonic G9 with Leica 12-60 and 100-300 - Awesome kit around $2k, that affords me a broad range of options with great auto focus (albeit a gap between 60-100, but nothing a crop can't handle.

Em1 MkII with 12-200, 60mm Macro - Awesome kit that doesn't get me as far as the G9, but affords me one walkaround lens that gets me out far, and allows me to pick up a macro lens to have additional fun. I can get this for $2K out the door.  I'm hesitant with this as I know I'll want more reach at some point, but the 100-300 is rumored to be better than the Oly equivalent, but I'll have to give up dual IS.  Plus side is I could sub our the macro for another fast prime.

Sony RX10 IV - More versatile than the other two options above, at a MUCH cheaper price.  Rumored to be nice a sharp out to 300mm, and can be picked up for significantly less at a used discount.  This would allow me to pick up an RX100 to have a second camera as a supplemental walkaround package.  I'm hesitant with this as I don't know what image quality i'll really be walking into, I know low light performance might struggle more, and i'll never be able to get designated macro.

Thoughts or encouragement to get me to finally pull the trigger?

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow