Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

tesla23 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your local experience but on a global scale, it doesn’t look as good. Heck, even the F6 can only be serviced in a limited capacity. Of course I can stick to buying one AE-1 After another but long term, this is just not a good solutions.

Of course all those cameras are available globally. Judging by the size of the recent recall Nikon sold 152 cameras in the last year - https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-f6-film-slr-camera.html

there needs to be:

- more new 35mm cameras, especially premium models (except for Leica of course)

- more service places

All of this will result in a drop of price of half-assed used cameras at ridiculous prices and create an overall better user experience.
I am just not willing to drop serious money for a used camera with no ability to fix it.

I doubt there will be any new 35mm film cameras made like the F6 - the tooling cost would be enormous for a small return.  Most of the things that have been tried are either rehashes of old designs or new fully mechanical cameras

The availability of servicing outlets depends in part on the likely uptake. Assuming you don’t work in camera repairs, ask yourself why you’ve not thought of career change into camera repairs? The likelihood is because  the hours are long and the rewards not so good.

Young people are doing the same calculations and rather than going into camera repairs they think there’s money to be made from making unboxing videos on YouTube
Most of the new servicing is going onto high end stuff like Leicas and Contax T2 - no-one is going to pay £100 for a CLA on a Praktica MTL5

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow