Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

My assessment of the longevity of film cameras is way higher than digital ones.

In part, this is down to personal experience of continued use of a Nikon F601 over 30 years - fantastic camera, good metering, AF, flash, and F-mount. And worth about $30. Brilliant, and a lot were made. I never had a film camera fail on me, had one stolen, and one dropped in the sea. Woops.

Serviceability is higher because it's mechanical parts that are mainly being replaced. Whether it's worth it or not is moot for the cheaper cameras. The major risk I see is that perfectly good "stock" is going to be binned because of the low prices of some, rather than they will fail particularly with disuse. The main problem with lack of use is things like rubber seals going.

Of course, there are sectors of the used film market which are highly distorted by the collectors market, and by the Leica cachet. But that's OK, you don't have to buy those if you don't want to.

My guess of the lifetime of digital models is more like 15 years tops, and many of the older ones are already economically unserviceable. The problem being of course, that there are many more circuit boards, buttons, pins and LCDs to go wrong.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow