Help with UWA decision (landscapes)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Lamentable Lens Regular Member • Posts: 390
Help with UWA decision (landscapes)

I have an A7R3 with the 24-105 f/4.  I'm looking to add a wider option, and I've spent some time looking at reviews and prior threads on this forum.  The use case would be almost exclusively landscape/seascape/nature (I don't need it as a walkaround, astro, or architectural lens).  Budget is under $1,000, and I'm perfectly fine buying used copies.

Any thoughts on the following analysis -- particularly from landscape/nature photographers -- would be much appreciated:

1.  Tamron 17-28 f/2.8: Seems hard to beat this one.  By all accounts, a great value, and the only question in my mind is whether I can spend less than half as much and get away with options 3 or 4, which are also much smaller/lighter.

2.   Sony Zeiss 16-35 f/4:  I throw this in because it's the most versatile of the bunch, but it's also the heaviest and most expensive.  I need the UWA primarily for wider than 24, so this option only makes sense if I'm really undervaluing either the utility of 16-35 in minimizing the need to change lenses, or the ability to get down to 16mm.

3.  Tamron 20mm f/2.8:  Much cheaper, at $300 brand new, and much lighter/smaller.  Good reviews, especially relative to option 4 (e.g., here ).  But I've seen some comments that the effective focal length (with corrections) is closer to 21mm, and I'm just not sure that it provides enough extra width, given that I can already get down to 24mm.

4.  Samyang 18mm f/2.8:  Also $300 brand new, and, conceptually, my favorite option by far.  A tiny lens, much wider than 24mm, and cheap; what's not to like?  Well, performance, possibly.  Unfortunately, the reviews are mixed (again, e.g., here).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and recommendations, and please feel free to suggest other options within the budget (including used).  I appreciate it.

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow