EF-M 15-45 ... sometimes soft side of the image

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,710
Re: EF-M 15-45 ... sometimes soft side of the image

davev8 wrote:

KevinRA wrote:

toomix wrote:

I know, a lot of debate has been done about this lens. In general, I'm happy with it but I have noticed that sometimes (maybe 30% of the cases) it has left side of the image rather soft. There is no pattern in focal length, aperture, or focusing distance ... does anybody experience the same issue, please?

Other shots are perfectly sharp ...

thanks

Try shooting 45 degrees like a newspaper - and see if the depth of field is linear or if the lens is tilted. If slightly tilted, the large depth of field may mean that the image is sharp across the frame in some shots if optimum focussed but not in others. Another test is to set up objects a different distances from the camera across the frame - is the plane of focus a constant difference? I have this issue to a slight degree in my 15-45 (I tolerate it) but not as bad as a sigma 56mm at f/1.4, a canon 15-85 (which was bad even at f/8) or more surprisingly a 2nd hand 60mm macro.

would not decentering be easier to spot if the camera was set up perfectly square on a tripod to say a news paper taped to a wall with the lens wide open ???

Works fine.  I usually do the brick wall test though (in the shade).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow