EF-M 15-45 ... sometimes soft side of the image

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,975
Re: EF-M 15-45 ... sometimes soft side of the image

KevinRA wrote:

toomix wrote:

I know, a lot of debate has been done about this lens. In general, I'm happy with it but I have noticed that sometimes (maybe 30% of the cases) it has left side of the image rather soft. There is no pattern in focal length, aperture, or focusing distance ... does anybody experience the same issue, please?

Other shots are perfectly sharp ...

thanks

Try shooting 45 degrees like a newspaper - and see if the depth of field is linear or if the lens is tilted. If slightly tilted, the large depth of field may mean that the image is sharp across the frame in some shots if optimum focussed but not in others. Another test is to set up objects a different distances from the camera across the frame - is the plane of focus a constant difference? I have this issue to a slight degree in my 15-45 (I tolerate it) but not as bad as a sigma 56mm at f/1.4, a canon 15-85 (which was bad even at f/8) or more surprisingly a 2nd hand 60mm macro.

would not decentering be easier to spot  if the camera was set up perfectly square on a tripod to say a news paper taped to a wall  with the lens wide open ???

Try some tests and see?

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/11/fun-with-field-of-focus-ii-copy-to-copy-variation-and-lens-testing/

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me it is bad I know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
.........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow