Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

DeathArrow wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

Not only I considered changing systems, but I did a few times.

Samsung APS-C mirrorless -> Sony APS-C mirrorless & Canon APS-C DSLR -> Canon FF DSLR -> Nikon FF DSLR.

The first change I did in the search of better AF and better IQ, the second change I did in search of better AF, better IQ and better lens availability, the third change I did mainly for AF and a bit for better IQ.

I am looking to switch again, this time to mirrorless FF. My reason being I don't have a good upgrade path in Nikon F mount as I want a better AF. D5 has that but is heavy and too expensive. The only mirrorless mount I would consider is Sony E because of its best AF in class and lens availability. However, even if the lenses I want are available in E mount, they are still kind of expensive. So I might wait a bit, or put more money towards a Nikon D5.

For me reasons to change mounts could be:

-better IQ

-better AF

-better lens availability or better lens prices

Reasons not to change mounts:

-poor IQ

-poor AF

-poor ergonomics

-less lenses available or higher lens prices

Some features like IBIS would be welcomed but not mandatory.

I was looking toward a Z6 or an R5/R6 because of the bigger mount and the possibility of future proofing my system. Perhaps new lens designs or possibilities. I don't care so much about an F/1.2 prime or F/2 zooms because they are hella expensive and heavy. But I guess that the F/2.8 zooms will always be available and great in whatever mount. Plus the E-mount will have the third party lenses as true native as someone else pointed out while the others will have them possibly as reverse enginneered

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow