Second body for nighttime sports

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Boatographer Regular Member • Posts: 136
Second body for nighttime sports

Hi, everyone. I'm an amateur/semi-pro sports shooter (finally back to paid gigs!). A year ago I got serious and purchased a 1DX and a 300 f2.8 IS. My second body is usually my 7Dii with a 70-200. I also have a 6D in the collection, but it does not acquire focus or shoot as rapidly as I'd prefer, so it's mostly left at home for vacation and landscape use.

My combination of bodies worked out better than I expected for high school basketball, but the return to football has highlighted the low-light weakness of the 7Dii. I shoot 1/1000 and f2.8 with auto ISO and find that I'm frequently pegged at 5,000 ISO (the max I've allowed) after the first quarter and every shot needs some or a lot of noise reduction. I've been planning to get another body (selling the 6D to offset some of the cost) and was leaning toward a 1Div. However, my latest research finds some people saying the 7Dii is better in most ways. If that is the case, I don't want to waste my money.

I'm looking for better low-light performance but retaining something close to the high-speed AF and shutter performance that I have in both my bodies. I'd like to stay under $1000 so another 1DX is off the table. (I've always bought used, so I'm not worried about supportability.) Am I better off with a 5Diii or 6Dii or would a 1Div meet my needs?

(In the winter I'll shoot basketball and hockey and baseball in the spring and summer once things normalize. I plan to keep the 7Dii as I really enjoy shooting air shows and wildlife a couple times a year and the extra "reach" is a good fit.)

Thanks so much!

Boatographer's gear list:Boatographer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CD1
CD1
CD1
CD1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow