An inspiring, game-changing image making machine

Started 4 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lee Baby Simms Contributing Member • Posts: 910
An inspiring, game-changing image making machine

I photograph 100 weddings a year and have owned (or tried) every Canon DSLR since the 20D. Currently, we have four 5DmkIV's and a 7DmkII. As soon as they are available, we will switch our entire fleet to R6's. Our first one has been shared by three photographers at a dozen weddings capturing over 20,000 images. My thoughts ...

WHAT'S GREAT

• Next-level auto focus. Extremely accurate, works well in low light (even with ƒ2.8 and ƒ4 zooms) with AF points from edge to edge. Like going from a dirt road to a perfectly paved superhighway.
  • Eye-tracking works well even in awful light (aided with faster primes), a particular benefit to reception dance party shots. An improved AF joystick with speed control allows you to get to the point you want, quickly. Press the “SET” button and the point returns to the center. Genius.
  • Manual focus peaking and focus aid makes quick work of rings, details shots
  • Super sharp & punchy 20mp files that fly through the computer.
  • Low noise and improved color fidelity at High ISO. 25,000 shooting is an (emergency) reality now.
  • Very quiet and luxurious sounding mechanical shutter with anti-flicker. Full silent electronic shutter on-demand (but you give up anti-flicker and ability to use flash, plus potentially introduce rolling shutter effects - use sparingly).
  • Legacy EF lens support is excellent and with some lenses (85L 1.4) the added ’tube’ adaptor actually aids handling.

THE GOOD

• Nice size/weight and ergonomics.
  • EVF is a nice balance of resolution and frame-rate. EVF shooting does take a while to get use to, but this camera is a great place to start.
  • Battery life (even with legacy batteries) is better than anticipated, but NEVER be without a spare in your bag or pocket. It will run out at the worst moment.

THE BAD

• The eyepiece/viewfinder is not a high point design type, and is dark shooting in daylight with eyeglasses. I had never experienced this on a Canon camera before.
  • Canon 430RT keeps popping out of locked position (!) in the heat of battle and won’t fire (control off-camera lights) properly. You have to pull the flash off, reseat and lock again. I have reported the issue to Canon Professional Services.
  • The cost of the R6 body is probably $500 more than it should be (compared to Nikon and Sony offerings)
  • Short (or no) supply of accessories — or the cameras themselves. Blame it on Covid.

After trying various mirrorless solutions at weddings (EOS R, Sony a7II, a7III and various Olympus and Panasonic m43 bodies), the R6 is the first mirrorless camera I want to shoot with — heck, it's the only camera I want to shoot with. If there were only more available in the United States (as of Sept 22, 2020).

Lee Baby Simms's gear list:Lee Baby Simms's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +8 more
Canon EOS R6
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jul 9, 2020
Lee Baby Simms's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow