The king is dead, long live the king

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Forum Pro • Posts: 11,175
The king is dead, long live the king

Back in 2014 the IBIS in my EM5 made interior photography in dark old Italian monuments possible at acceptable ISO levels. This camera opened up a whole new world of photography for me. Shooting these pictures became easy where a tripod was not allowed.

Jump to 2020. My EM5 was showing its age and Olympus has let their system go in the wrong direction as well as lagging on the sensor tech front. After a long personal dilemma, I bought a Z7 based system to replace my M43 gear for this and other photographic duties.

By just taking a little more care with my shot discipline the Z7 has taken this type of photography to yet another level. The IBIS is just as  dependable down to about 1/15 so that means ISO 1600 most of the time, much the same as my old EM5. Noise levels are far better as is colour transitioning. I also have far more latitude in post

A strange thing that I found, is that the Olympus has different ideas about ISO, compared to the Z7. So I find my self shooting at the same ISO/shutter speed, but with an F4 lens on the Z rather than 2.8 on the EM5

An added bonus is that it seems to work with my shift lenses too, opening up some other new possibilities when used with the virtual horizon.

Here are some recent shots mostly from Florence, my first really serious travel experience with the Z7

The 24-200 proved a real winner too, avoiding lots of lens changing. The 14-30 I found to be superb too.

I can see myself getting a second body to avoid all that lens changing, maybe a Z5.

I feel I have achieved the same large technological jump with the Z7 as I did when the EM5 replaced an ageing D300

Pictures of dark interiors with the new King:

Capella Medicee, Firenze.

Capella Medicee, Firenze. Sculpture by Michelangelo

Chiesa di San Salvatore in Ognissanti, Firenze

Chiesa di San Salvatore in Ognissanti, Firenze, Crucifix by Giotto

Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, Firenze.

Cenacolo di Sant'Apollonia, Last Supper by Andrea del Castagno

Firenze

Reggio Emilia

Lavagna

Nikon Z7 + Nikon 28PC, Lavagna

Nikon Z7 + Nikon 28PC, Lavagna

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow