iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RobLW
RobLW New Member • Posts: 23
Re: iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

I’ve been spending quite some time looking at going iPad Native for my photography post processing work.

I decided to get rid of Lightroom. I don’t mind subscription but they lost some of my photos stored in their cloud. And more recently they made that release/update that affect a lot of people in a similar way, and there was no way to recover those images. Unbelievable considering the storage should be backed up!

Anyway, the biggest issue for me, was wanting a separate DAM from my editor. App Store normally has 10’s or 100’s of any app type, but not digital asset management unfortunately.  Currently I’m trying out Mylio, although it has a free level you basically end up on subscription for the full hog. But it is modern UX and looks nice, syncs really fast. I tried Pixave but it just isn’t looked after anymore.

I also tried Apple’s on Photos app. I thought it might be a winner, but was left disappointed because it doesn’t support things like tagging and keyword searches etc. I don’t think they will make any API available for 3rd party clients (like Raw Power) to do such things. This is why Raw Power is dependant on creating it’s own albums in order to sync it’s data such as ratings. I hate the way most 3rd party programs access the folders & albums from Photos as well.

For a DAM, Mylio appears to be the best option for me right now. There is a lot of potential but it requires decent developers to deliver. For example I like to keep my library (Mylio calls it a vault) on an external SSD. This way I can move my vault to various machines. Mylio needs updating to see that vault on the SSD when plugged into my iPad. Ideally it should also support importing images from the SSD to, so I can go 100% native iPad and not need an MBP/iMac.

I like to keep my DAM independent so I can use different tools. One of the (dis)advantages of using mobile devices for photo editing, is the vast array of options/apps available that special in jobs. Rather than something like Lightroom that tries to do everything but sucks at things like removing noise and clarity compared to other tools.

Affinity Photo is my power-house editor of choice. It has more power than I ever use or am skilled for. I like PixelMator and raw power but wish they had better support for external storages rather than being so focused on Apple Photos as it’s core source of images.

I find Apple Photos incredibly frustrating for dealing with images I’ve taken with my Sony or Nikon camera. When I want to find images by camera, or by keyword, or by rating, or by flag etc. It’s just lets you down. Makes you wonder how the biggest company on the stock market is so slow and poor at keeping their software up to date

I would suggest NOT going the Photos route with your raw images. Don’t expect those missing features to come any time soon. It was frustrating having my iPhone snaps mixed up with my photos which I invested time and quality into.

RobLW's gear list:RobLW's gear list
Nikon D500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow