DSLR -> Mirrorless Guides?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
Re: DSLR -> Mirrorless Guides?

ericbowles wrote:

anim8tr wrote:

Is there an online resource that discusses the pluses and minuses of moving from one camera system to another when it comes to making a switch from DSLR to Mirrorless? I'm currently a Nikon DSLR shooter but would like to start moving to a mirrorless system, Nikon or other.

Take a look at Thom Hogan's comments on the topic. He's an objective source.

Here are short reviews on the three Nikon options:

https://www.zsystemuser.com/z-mount-cameras/nikon-z-camera-reviews/the-short-version-nikon-z.html

As a general rule, changing systems is a good way to spend money, but rarely provides a sustained advantage. Look at your budget and the lenses you'll need for what you shoot. If you are demanding about performance, your lenses will last a while while you'll upgrade camera bodies every few years. Chasing performance needs to be within one system with the lenses largely constant.

Any system comes with a major learning curve. It's not going to be intuitive, and you're going to need to learn how to do things with the new system. That's the problem with many of the cross system reviews. They set up a scenario and try to use similar settings rather than optimum settings. Or they use the default settings rather than adjusting for the best way to photograph their subject.

If you can't make great photos with the Nikon mirrorless cameras right now, it's not the fault of the cameras.

These comments may be accurate if you're talking about a system change from one manufacturer to another.  But not if you go from DSLR to mirrorless within a particular manufacturer's lineup - at least not with regard to learning curve or lens choice.

For example, when I went from a Canon 70D to a Canon M6ii last year, the controls and menus were completely familiar and all my lenses worked with an inexpensive adapter, exactly the same on either camera.

I completely agree that chasing performance across systems is a fools game and invitation to waste a lot of money.   But within a system?  Probably not so foolish.  Most of us upgrade infrequently.  After all, how much do you really gain in one camera generation?  But after 7-8 years, you start to see noticeable gains.  For me, it was size, weight and the ability to use vintage Canon lenses that I already owned.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow