I need advice on buying a camera to make demonstration videos.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jugglerguy New Member • Posts: 3
I need advice on buying a camera to make demonstration videos.

I have a YouTube channel that is growing, and I think I need to upgrade my camera. My channel is about rock collecting and lapidary arts (polishing rocks and making things from rocks). Some of my videos are done in my basement shop where I demonstrate how to use various equipment or I just show some polished rocks. I use two cameras at the same time and then alternate between a wide shot and close ups in my finished video.

My current set up is a demonstration table where I stand and show rocks. I have a GoPro set up right in front of me on a tripod to get a wide shot. it's not the perfect camera for this, but I'm happy with it for now. To get close ups of my hands, I have a Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-HX200V mounted behind the GoPro on the ceiling. The Sony camera is zoomed in to show a close up of my hands. When I originally set this up, I was having trouble zooming with the camera so close. I was told by someone that my camera has to be two meters from the subject in order to zoom in without being blurry. I would love to know what specification to look for to find that length. I would like a new camera that is cabable of being closer and is still be able to zoom in. I'm not happy with having to climb on top of a table every time I want to use this camera, and the picture is still not great.

Another thing that I do with this camera is set it up just a few inches (3-6 inches) from my table and show rocks one at a time. When I do this, the camera sometimes has trouble focusing as I set one rock down and pick up another. I also have a problem with white balance (I think that's what it is). My hands change colors throughout the video.

Finally, I want a camera with microphone input.

Photography is not my hobby. Rocks are my hobby. I need a decent camera to be able to get good video quality that will keep my YouTube viewers happy. I don't want to spend a fortune on a camera, but I do have some Youtube income that I am willing to spend.

I'm hoping someone here can help me pick out a new or used camera that will help me improve my videos. Thanks for your help.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow