review info: The R5 from a 5Ds user's POV

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,465
review info: The R5 from a 5Ds user's POV

Canon kindly lent me an R5 for a bit and I've been testing it, with particular interest in seeing how it compared to my 5Ds, particularly with tilt/shift lenses.

I've written an article and a video about it, but out of respect for forum rules I'll not post a URL here.

As would be expected, from a resolution POV there's precious little difference between 45 and 50 MP

At base ISO you have to bump shadows up quite a bit to see much difference

A 400% screen grab of some shadow...

As an architectural and industrial photographer I rarely challenge AF performance and video is just an 'option'

The RF 15-35,24-70 and 70-200 are all nice lenses, but I was more interested in my TS-E lenses 17,24 and a 50 from Canon.

The combination of high res EVF, level and sensor IS is a godsend for those like me happy to occasionally shoot shifted lenses hand-held

50mm

or 24mm

Canon also lent me the EF->RF adapter with polarising filter - it works great with tilted/shifted lenses - no more shoebox filter assembly on my TS-E17mm...

You have to be careful with polarisers on a lens as wide as the 17mm - The sky is (perhaps) not even enough in this example

As an added bonus, my old Mamiya 645 lenses (35/55/85/210) work well on the Fotodiox tilt/shift adapter and gain IS as well.

M645 35/3.5 shifted up @f/11

So, from an image quality POV - some improvement for the sorts of work I do

From a usability POV, love it

I only had the kit for a week or so, hence was deliberately quite limited in what I tested. I'm now really looking forward to the 'High MP' version

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow