Two very original ML !

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,632
Re: Two very original ML !

Nice!

Both are quirky cameras, which is good in my book

I've used cameras from both brands, and actually like both. I've had a DP2 (original), DP1 Merrill and SD10. Kept the DP2; lovely colours. The files of the Merrill had an incredible "bite", but I missed EVF and/or tilt-screen for the focal length and typical use of the camera.

In general, I really like the interface of Sigma-camera's, very logical and intuitive, a bit better than Pentax but not quite at Leica-level. The Sigma user-manuals are also really good.

During spring this year, I was shopping for a new colour camera for slow photography, the SD Quattro (H) was also a contender. Eventually settled on the K-1 for more versatility in bad lighting conditions.

Also the Pentax-files require less elaborate processing, as the K-1's DNGs can be opened directly into Capture 1, whereas Sigma's files require a first conversion in SPP.  I've heard complaints re SPP, it would be slow on some PCs, although it runs smooth and fast on my system); but I simply don't like the extra step in the workflow. However, the Sigma-output is great (at base ISO)

Would love to see the full frame Foveon, but I fear this is now permanently on hold....

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow