Challenge: The Night Sky as Background (1 or 2 images only, please)

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: Challenge: The Night Sky as Background (1 or 2 images only, please)

I agree. In my quote they referred to the twilight blue, and you were talking about the deep night colours beyond twilight.

Although apparently it's more about the colours of the galaxy  around and the air glow. I usually set the white balance slider at about 4000 and it gives a blue-greenish tint of the sky (that is the space between the stars). It's interesting if it's actually orange. I tend to process the night shots into cooler tones.

With the moon the sky is prominently blue, and in the shots it looks like underexposed daytime. That's why I sometimes convert the moon shots into b&w, it's closer to our colourless perception at night.

Below is a time-blended image with a slightly enlarged moon.

bmike wrote:

That’s a great read. Thank you

Please read the whole paper:

“Contrary to the usual impression of bluish night sky colour, in reality the sky is in the orange to green range. Blue colour only appears during twilight hours, due to ozone absorption.”

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow