55-200mm/3.5-4.8 vs 50-140/2.8 (landscapes, architecture)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
morosophos New Member • Posts: 10
55-200mm/3.5-4.8 vs 50-140/2.8 (landscapes, architecture)

Hi!

I recently switched to fuji system and now in process of picking my lens set for it. I started with 16-55/2.8, the next target is telephoto zoom.

My priorities for telephotos are (from most important to least): landscapes, architecture, street, portrait, sports/events.

As far as I see, there's only two options for telephoto on fuji - 55-200/3.5-4.8 and 50-140/2.8 The latter is highly praised, and initially I was almost seduced to buy it despite price, but then stopped and thought that maybe the 55-200 one is better suited for my applications? Basically I want a sharp lens, don't much care about variable aperture, 4.8 is good enough for me. As far as I understand 55-200 is only marginally less sharper than 50-140, while being much less heavy.

What concerns me about 55-200 is that some reviews on this site say that they got a defective lens which they had to return (2 of 11 reviewers mention it, almost 20% !!!). Is it really that bad? I live in a third world country where returning defective article is quite a hassle...

Any insight and advice would be highly appreciated! I really like landscape shots with details (hate blurry foliage, heh), should I burden myself with heavy and pricey 50-140 or more affordable 55-200 is good enough for that purpose? Thanks in advance.

morosophos's gear list:morosophos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow