iPad IOS 14 Photos import change

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,695
iPad IOS 14 Photos import change

IOS 14 on the iPad ... big unannounced change with Photos.

I often use my iPad Pro to import photos with an SD card reader. If you use your iPad to import pictures with a reader, Apple made a big change in the process ... with no written explanation anywhere I could find. After updating to IOS 14, I tried to transfer some images with my card reader. What normally happens when a reader is plugged in, is that Photos will show an “import” icon at the bottom of the screen. You click on it, and your photos load and the iPad then gives you the “load all” or “select” options. Simple.

With IOS 14, there are no options listed on the bottom of the Photos screen. Plug in your reader, and nothing will happen. Period. There is, however, a button on the top left of the screen which will open a sidebar menu. With that open, when you plug in your reader, a new menu item called “Devices” will open. Under that menu, your card's nme will be listed. Select the card, and your import will start exactly like it always did.

I called Apple support about this, and just spoke with one of their “Photos Experts.” He was very impressed with my research, and was totally unaware of these changes.

These changes only apply to the iPad version of IOS 14. My iPhone with IOS 14 still works exactly the same as it always did.

Hope my experience helps a few of my fellow photographers.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow