Is there a "safe" alternative to Pentax?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,388
Is there a "safe" alternative to Pentax?

Hypothetically, I might be in a situation a few years from now where Pentax withers away and I need to change systems.  Now in the old days there were two main paths you could choose when picking a system: either play it safe and get something generic from the big two, or take a chance on a minor company to get something that's a better personal fit but might not be as well supported.  But now that both C and N have deprecated their SLR mounts and started new ones, there no longer is any safe generic option.  Every brand is a gamble.  The other SLRs have the mark of Cain on them and are bound to have steadily decreasing levels of support, while the new mirrorless replacements are a long ways off from achieving any kind of stable leadership.  This kind of leaves Sony, of all companies, as looking like the safest and most stable option, even though when it comes to safety and stability I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw a Nikkei index.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about Pentax's chances in this changed landscape... their decision to stand fast in SLR-land might win market share from those who don't like the rush to mirrorless.  But if that doesn't work out... I'm interested in hearing people's opinions and prognostications about the alternatives.  What is your foresight seeing?  Is Canon going to crush all in its path?  Or will Sony win out and McDonalds-ify the camera business?  Will Nikon keep up or will it shrivel away?  Is there any chance for Fuji or Oly or anyone else to move up and join the majors?  And what do you think would be the lowest risk platform to buy into, if you want something that'll remain solidly viable for like the next fifteen years?

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow