framing a typical small bird - what lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,750
framing a typical small bird - what lens?

This is more a 'what if I could afford a new lens' thread, but I'm curious - money no object - what lens is out there that is most suitable to a very specific purpose:

What lens exists (400mm or longer) that has the ability to frame a typical smallish bird (let's say sparrow opr cardinal for argument - basically a 6-inch bird) from edge to edge on an FX sensor?

This is basically a question of close-focus and magnification.

I'm interested in this because I recently got a Nikon 500PF, and it will not focus as closely as my 200-500, and consequently I cannot get close enough to a 6-inch bird to fill the frame with it.  Maybe I could fill the DX crop area, but that would be about it.

I know cropping is a way of life when shooting birds, but is there even an alternative?  I'd like to get the bulk of my 45 megapixels onto my subjects.

So far, the best I think I have is using a 1.4TC on my 300F4 AF-S, which focuses pretty closely to start with.  (A good dragonfly lens).

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow