Curious D850 failure

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,873
Re: Curious D850 failure

While it may be some hardware failure that is intermittent, it may also just be poor electrical contacts.

Since the batteries worked in another camera, the focus falls onto the D850.   I would take some isopropyl alcohol - or dedicated electrical contact cleaner like Deoxit if you have some around - put some on a qtip and gently swab the battery contacts inside the D850.  Do the batteries while you are at it.

And then carefully do all your lens contacts on camera and lenses as well.

Back in the day ...  when the D300 came out, the forums were alive with tales of DBS - Dead Battery Syndrome.   The problem was similar to yours, but with a few different symptoms.   The classic symptoms made it look like the battery was failing, but it was more an inherent oversensitivity in detecting battery voltage drops in the firmware.   Any kind of electrical interference (dirty contacts) could push the camera into a failure mode.

For ME, the symptoms were more of a 'why won't this camera DO something when I press the shutter release?!'.   It only happened with VR lenses.

My symptom was, put on a VR lens (18-200), point at a subject and mash the shutter.  Nothing happened.  No focus, no shutter, no indication that I had pressed the shutter at all - for about 2 seconds.  Then the camera seemed to wake up, focus and take the shot like nothing ever happened.

This was on the second day I owned the camera, by the way, and it only happened on my one VR lens.

I eventually 'solved' the problem by cleaning the lens contacts, and the problem went away for several months.   It then came back on a vacation trip in Roatan, and the same fix helped.  Soon after that Nikon released a firmware update for the D300 that solved the issue.

Anyway, clean the contacts.  Can't hurt, and it's the cheapest thing to try.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow